Monday, August 8, 2016

Iceland Part Two

Part two of my Iceland trip, the north.  We spent about half our trip in the south and half in the north.  We probably did a little less technically in the north because a decent part of it was spent at the amazing family reunion.  We still saw quite a lot though, but some things had to be missed.

Goðafoss, where the pagan idols were thrown away during 
Iceland's conversion to Christianity.

Dimmuborgir, this amazing lava formation park.
(For any Game of Thrones fans, the Wildling camp was shot here.)

Akureyrikirkja.

Puffins!  We went to Grimsey, to the Arctic Circle and there
are puffins everywhere!  I've seen puffins before,
but they're never not awesome.

Arctic Circle marker on Grimsey.

Laufás, where I worked for a few weeks in 2007.
It's a turf house that is run as a museum.

Looking down into the fjord that Akureyri sits on.

Icelandic horses at the family farm.

Munkaþverá.  The reunion was for descendants of people buried
at this church - my great-great grandparents.

Grund, where other's of the family are buried.

The magnificent sunset (around 11pm) outside of where the reunion was held.

There's my trip in a very small nutshell.  I could've shared so many other photos, but didn't want to 1) share too much of our trip and 2) get even further away from what this blog is supposed to be.

Next week I'll be back to having historical entries!  Like I said before my trip, they'll probably be Iceland related for a bit. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment